Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Traditions

I LOVE ADVENT!  
I love all the decorations that get us excited about Christmas coming and the celebration of our Savior's birth!  It's the biggest birthday party of the year and I really enjoy the hype that comes before it.  It doesn't bother me that Christmas decor goes up before Thanksgiving because it all just points back to the manger and the cross.  I know, I just lost a few readers because some of you are cringing and thinking, yeah right, it's all about the commercialism.  But seriously, it's about your attitude and what's in your heart. Christmas is about Jesus' birth and if stores want to decorate for His party early, I'm fine with that!

We have several traditions in our house that get us ready for Christmas.  In no particular order, here are some of the traditions we have in our house:

Putting up the Christmas tree with a star on top to remind us of the Star of Bethlehem.
 Decorating gingerbread houses, just for fun.
Opening new PJs on Christmas Eve.
 Various Nativity scenes around the house:
This one is a magnet set on the fridge that the kids' added a magnet to each day in December.
 From my childhood, a felt countdown calendar for the month of December.
 A basket of Christmas books kept out for special reading time.
 Going through the book, "What God Really Wants for Christmas," and setting up the accompanying nativity scene (usually more than once during advent).
A basket full of children's play nativities kept in a special place, for special play, during advent.
 Baking Jesus' birthday cake with specific colors to learn and celebrate the true meaning of the day.
 The bowl full of Christmas cards on our kitchen table, so we can pray for the families who sent them.
Not seen are the Christmas lights outside, the fun Christmas DVDs we only watch during Advent, fun food things, reading the Christmas story on Christmas morning, etc...
What are some of the fun traditions your family has?

No comments: