I do not like to cook. I especially do not like to cook if hubby is not home in time to eat dinner with us and my littles all prefer PB&J anyways.
Therefore, once-a-month freezer cooking has always intrigued me. I could cook one day, all day and feed my family healthy, budget friendly meals for weeks. Sounds delightful! But finding the energy to plan it and the go-to to commit has failed me up till now. Enter: Mel. My awesome neighbor who is always on board for crazy ideas!
So in the midst of yet another AF exercise where our hubbys are working opposite 14+ hour shifts for a week (weekend included), a week where we are both getting company and trying to cram multiple days of homeschool in at a time, the week before we are both leaving on trips, etc...we decide, hey, let's do once-a-month freezer cooking! C-R-A-Z-Y!
Crazy, but fun! We have laughed our socks off and had tons of fun making messes and yummy food for our families! We ambitiously took on 13 different recipes, several of which we've never done before. We took 4 kids aged 5 and under to the commissary to fill two carts to the brim with our ingredients. The total came out to $125/each. Pretty good for all the meals we're getting - especially since most of our meals are gluten free and have a lot of organic ingredients! So far, I have 23 baggies or pans of stuff crammed into my freezer and we still have two more meals to finish up tonight.
Above: Mel's extra fridge stocked with our ingredients. Just look away, Vegetarians. We bought so many pounds of meat the butcher was thrilled when we checked out and left!
Below: My freezer, getting very full!
Our 13 meals:
Meatloaf
Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Normandy
Crustless Quiche
Marinated Beef for Kabobs
Marinated Fajita Beef
Marinated Chicken
Turkey Meatballs
Breaded Chicken Fingers
Brown Bag Burritos
Spinach Lasagna
Sloppy Joes
Teriyaki Chicken for Stir-fry
1 comment:
Wow, that's awesome! I've been wanting to try that for a while but never got it planned out enough to actually do it. I do make extra meals when I cook sometimes, (make three meatloaves and freeze two of them), but I'd love to have a month worth of dinner ready to heat! Good for you and your neighbor!
Post a Comment